“No wonder, then, that we often describe these stimuli as ‘mind-blowing’ or ‘earth-shattering.’ They simply don’t conform to our existing way of thinking about the universe.” – Anna Mikulak
What is the Theology?
Pastors can facilitate awe-inspiring experiences that encourage awareness of the transcendent and of the universal connection between all humanity. They can connect these experiences to scriptures that describe awesome acts of God, such as the creation of the world or the burning of a wet altar, or life-changing encounters with God, such as Moses and the burning bush or Isaiah’s vision in the throne room. These life-altering experiences can lead us toward serving others as we are overcome by God’s incredible love, such as happened to Paul on the road to Damascus.
What to Consider
- Has there ever been a time when you have been overcome with awe? What was the reason? Has this left an impact on your life?
- What role have awe-inspiring experiences played in your experiences of God?
- What causes you to experience awe? Experiences? Nature? Others? Spiritual encounters? Something else?
How to go Deeper
- Plan an outdoor event at an awe-inspiring location. Some examples are a youth camping trip, family picnic, or a sunrise service. Invite participants to reflect upon the Creator God whom we are invited to worship.
- After preaching a sermon about the cosmos, hold a star-gazing night. Invite an experienced astronomer to explain what participants are seeing. End with a time of worship music to reflect on the Creator who spoke the universe into being.
- After a series on the awe-inspiring acts of God, invite the congregation to serve the community as they look beyond themselves and embrace their connection to others.
Gene Editing: The Next Step in Self-Evolution
Article by David Ewing Duncan (2017)
Read the Full Article
What is the Science? What was once only in the imaginations of science fiction writers is now a reality. In 2012, scientists from Sweden and California discovered a way to edit DNA with [...]
What is the Science? The relationship between science and religion is complicated. In the early 1900s, some conservative Christians, reacting to modernism and higher criticism, began to see evolutionary biology as conflicting with [...]
What is the Science? According to a study out of the University of Washington, living with purpose may positively affect both mental and physical health. In their study, researchers paired people 55 years [...]
How to Be Successful and Still Compassionate
Article by Kira M Newman, Book by Christopher L. Kukk (2017)
Read the Full Article
What is the Science? Can compassion lead to success in the workplace? Research into compassion, purpose, and work seem to offer a resounding, “yes.” For example, workers who receive compassion from their bosses [...]