“It is grit that makes our heroes face down their dragons and persist in the face of difficulty, setbacks, failure, and fear.” – Christine Carter
What to Consider
- How have you responded to adversity in your life? Has grit been a factor? What other attributes or influences shaped your response?
- What are some stories of people in your community who have succeeded despite adversity? Where do you see grit in their stories?
- What other things beside grit are necessary to persevere through adversity?
- Do you believe that grit is a fixed attribute or something that can be taught and learned?
- What is the place of the Spirit in both developing grit and in persisting through difficult times to fulfil the long term goals for which we are passionate.
How to go Deeper
- Start support groups to help people encourage each other as they face difficulties that require grit. These might include AA, men’s or women’s groups, life stage groups, divorce support groups, or more general small groups.
- Grit means facing emotions and difficult circumstances, not suppressing them. Develop a safe place to mourn difficulties and losses in life. Begin by praying laments such as Psalm 79. You might even try preaching through Lamentations.
- Preach a series on gritty persons in the Bible. Invite congregants to follow the model of Joseph or Daniel. Don’t forget to emphasize the role of God in empowering them to persist.
Gene Editing: The Next Step in Self-Evolution
Article by David Ewing Duncan (2017)
Read the Full Article
What is the Science? What was once only in the imaginations of science fiction writers is now a reality. In 2012, scientists from Sweden and California discovered a way to edit DNA with [...]
What is the Science? The relationship between science and religion is complicated. In the early 1900s, some conservative Christians, reacting to modernism and higher criticism, began to see evolutionary biology as conflicting with [...]
What is the Science? According to a study out of the University of Washington, living with purpose may positively affect both mental and physical health. In their study, researchers paired people 55 years [...]
How to Be Successful and Still Compassionate
Article by Kira M Newman, Book by Christopher L. Kukk (2017)
Read the Full Article
What is the Science? Can compassion lead to success in the workplace? Research into compassion, purpose, and work seem to offer a resounding, “yes.” For example, workers who receive compassion from their bosses [...]