“In whatever form purpose emerges, it has a beyond-the-self (some call it “transcendent”) dimension that endows it with a special place in human affairs.”
Questions to Consider
- What life experiences helped you find your purpose in life?
- What practices are in place in your congregation to help young people develop purpose in their lives?
- Who in your community would you identify as a purpose-filled individual? What drives them?
How to Go Deeper
- Invite a purpose-filled young adult to share their story with the congregation. Publicly affirm their work as service to God and offer a prayer of blessing on their lives.
- Read Colossians 3:12-17. Invite three purpose-filled adults with different careers (for example: a teacher, farmer, and stay-at-home parent) to share why they do what they do and how they “do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus” (v. 17 NRSV).
- Incorporate different subjects in your sermons. For example, use science in a sermon on the universe to demonstrate just how great God is. Tell stories of astronomers and physicists who are exploring the universe out of love for God.
What is the Science? According to a study out of the University of Washington, living with purpose may positively affect both mental and physical health. In their study, researchers paired people 55 years [...]
How to Be Successful and Still Compassionate
Article by Kira M Newman, Book by Christopher L. Kukk (2017)
Read the Full Article
What is the Science? Can compassion lead to success in the workplace? Research into compassion, purpose, and work seem to offer a resounding, “yes.” For example, workers who receive compassion from their bosses [...]
Doing Something Creative Can Boost Your Well-Being
Article by Jill Suttie (2017)
Read the Full Article
What is the Science? In popular culture, creativity is often associated with madness. However, recent research suggests that creativity is much more strongly associated with well-being. One recent study pursued this correlation even [...]
What is the Science? “Well-being is a skill.” Such is the conclusion of neuroscientist Richard J. Davidson. Davidson’s claim is based on his scientific research into the plasticity of certain neural circuits associated [...]
What is the Science? Have you ever been in the middle of a great experience and one bad moment seems to ruin it? You were on vacation and somebody cuts you off [...]
What is the Science? There are a lot of variables that go into success: skill, passion, grit, and optimism are just a few traits that play a part. One variable, however, might play [...]